Thursday, January 19, 2017

Creamy Corn Chowder


Corn chowder is one of those hearty soups that are perfect meals by themselves. The first time I had chowder was during a hospital stay. I couldn't eat meat or eggs so I asked for something vegetarian. My first ever conversation with this wonder soup went something like "oh,yeah..what..what is this?"... didn't look like a soup because it was not that liquidy. Did they bring me some gravy? It was thick and cheesy and really...should I risk myself to have this? But believe me, I was super hungry, had no options and no one was with me so I thought it was ok and anyways I was in hospital. So I decided to go ahead and have it. The first spoon was a hesitant one then it was like what?..ok..not bad and then I almost finished half the bowl though without conviction.
After a long time, I remembered about this dish and thought of trying it at home. And then everyone fell in love and this became a winter night staple.
Believe me even if you are a poor eater you will instantly like this. With the side of a garlic bread or some biscuits its a whole meal by itself and if your kids are picky with vegetables this is an easy way to sneak in their share. In that case, mash up the whole soup so they won't have to hesitate with the bite of vegetables.
Creamy cheesy corn chowder is a must try recipe and one to save and savor.


INGREDIENTS:
Makes 5 Servings

1 Medium yellow onion
2 Celery sticks
2 Small carrots
1 Small red bell pepper
2 Lb fresh corn kernels (or)
3 Cans cream of corn
4 Cups chicken stock
1/4 Tsp thyme
1 Cup heavy cream
2 Cup shredded cheddar
1 Cup shredded mozzarella
2 Tblsp all purpose flour
4 Tblsp butter/ 2 Tblsp olive oil
1 Tblsp black pepper powder
Salt to taste
2 Tblsp chopped spring onion (or) chives (for garnish optional)


METHOD :

 Chop the onions and  all the given vegetables into 1" cubes. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Saute onions until transparent. Then add the carrots and bell pepper cook until tender. Add the corn (if using fresh).
When the vegetables are tender sprinkle the all purpose flour and fry and let it cook for few minutes.
If using canned cream of corn, add at this moment.
Slowly pour in the chicken broth and mix everything together and close the pot and cook for 10mins on medium flame.
At this point take more than half the amount cooked vegetables and make puree in a blender or food processor and pour back to the remaining vegetables in the pot.
Add the thyme, pepper powder and salt.
Again simmer for about 15 mins.
Now add the heavy cream and let the mixture heat through.
Check and adjust the seasoning at this point.
Add the shredded cheese and stir until dissolved.
Serve on bowls and add garnish if preferred.






No comments:

Post a Comment