Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Shrimp Nugget

   Back then when I was a novice in cooking I used to watch cooking shows in my thirst to  learn any new recipe. This one was one such recipe I learned from a cooking competition. Just modified a bit to fit our palette. Actually I was so sceptical about using sambar powder in the fry because all I have known is sambar powder is used to make sambar,lol. But believe me this spice mix gives that nice aroma to the fry. Shrimp tastes so rich in this spice combination. I just gave the name nuuget because the corn flour gives this nice layer over the shrimp and I don't want to name it another fry.

INGREDIENTS :

Shrimp                 - 1Lb
Oil                        - For frying
Marinade :
Ginger Paste        - 1 Tsp
Garlic Paste         - 1 TsP
Yogurt                  - 1 Tblsp
Lemon Juice        - 1 Tblsp
Tomato Ketchup  - 2 Tblsp
Chilly Powder     - 1 Tblsp
Sambar Powder   - 2 Tsp
Salt                      -1/2 Tsp
Corn Flour          - 1 Tblsp

METHOD :

     First clean the shrimp. Remove the shells and devein them. I usually buy the headless raw shrimps. There will be the vein on one side and another thin black thread like thing running through the bottom. Split open the curved top portion and pull out the vein. The bottom thread can be scrapped out using a pairing knife. If you are using frozen shrimps defreeze them and soak in salted water for about 15mins. Brings back the freshness.
  Mix all the ingredients under marinade and rub over the cleaned shrimp and and let it sit for atleast 15 minutes.
    Heat a shallow pan over medium heat. Pour oil needed to shallow fry. Arrange the shrimps over the oil and cook for about 2 mins on both sides or until it turns slight brown and crispy.
Serve as a starter over coleslaw or as side dish for your lunch. Very flavorful and rich taste,yumm.

No comments:

Post a Comment